The Senedd’s Children, Young People and Education Committee is conducting an inquiry into disabled children and young people’s access to childcare and education. It will explore the extent to which childcare providers, schools and local authorities meet their duties under the Equality Act 2010.
The committee would like to understand how children and young people who are neurodivergent, have physical, sensory or learning disabilities are able to access all aspects of education and childcare provision. Areas of focus include:
- the extent of access to and/or exclusion from provision
- issues of direct or indirect discrimination
- the impact of any lack of or limited access to provision
- barriers for providers in offering accessible provision
- the level of consultation, information and support for disabled and neurodivergent children and their families about the choices available to them
- whether there is equal and adequate choice of provision.
The consultation and accompanying documents explain how people can share their views or suggest ideas for alternative ways of sharing their views.
Closing date for responding: 29 September 2023.